August 9, 2008

Preparing the Soil

The Manits Tiller/Cultivator came in this week. I put it together (yes that's right, I put it together) as soon as it came so Tom would be ready to till first thing Saturday morning. Ain't it purty?

Tom was SO excited to get started - he couldn't wait to get this thing going. He filled it with gas and started tilling...

Woops! Got some serious blockage here. What to do, what to do???? Hey, because this IS the Mantis Tiller/Cultivator, how about turning the tines around to the "cultivating" position and see if that will break up the sod first?

IT WORKED, IT WORKED! Look at a very elated Tom and his Mantis cutting through the sod like butter! Next it was time to add some nutrients into the soil.

Look at me spread that cow poo!

NOW it was time to till. Tom and his Mantis went to town and tilled like there was no tomorrow.

It took Tom about 2 and a half hours to break up the sod and then till the soil to a loamy depth. While Tom cultivated and tilled, I went to the store and bought all the seeds for our fall/winter crop. We'll plant them tomorrow and there will be yet another post showing our continued progress.

~Y

2 comments:

Phil Davidson said...

What ratio mix does the Mantis use? I've often wondered about that. I have a tiny tiller like that - attaches in place of my weedeater head. Good luck. But I did catch the "tines-on-backwards" before I scrolled down!!!!!! ROFLMAO.

Anonymous said...

It's the same as a string trimmer, 50:1. But it's SUPER strong, and really powers through. I tilled 10 inches deep, hit lots of brick pieces and it didn't phase it. The magic is is in the design as well as in the tines, which they warranty against breakage, even on rocks. I didn't put the tines on backwards, just had it set for "till" mode when I had to do first things first, namely break up the sod using the cultivator position of the tines. :P Once that was done, THEN it was time to till. I basically went over both patches about 8 times total. Man, it's LOAMY now! :)