July 20, 2011

If you garden, you'd better be friendly with your neighbors...

written by Yvonne

TYVeggiePatch has gone all veg advocate and high-tech!  Seems as though we can add a video to our blog. Who knew? (Probably everyone but me.)

Anyway, I received this story today in my weekly Organic Gardening Connect Newsletter. Click on the videos below to see the news story.  The first one is the initial story and the second is the follow up.

Oak Park Woman Faces 93-Days in Jail For Planting Vegetable Garden 

 

 

Oak Park Charges Dropped, New Charges Issued 

 

 

Side note: There is a elderly woman in our neighborhood whose vegetable garden is in her front yard. I was inspired and thought, "Gee, when I run out of room in the backyard, I am SO planting more vegetables in the front yard too." When we first moved here my neighbor told me that this woman was shunned from the neighborhood garden group back in the day, and that "no one" liked her front-yard vegetables. Then as new blood (like us) moved in, more people we accepting of it. Personally, I think grass is stupid and a waste of time and resources. Water, cut it, fertilize, repeat to infinity - and all with nothing actually produced. What a waste.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing this crazy story! We are right there with ya on the grass. We think it's stupid too. And a waste of time.