February 27, 2013

Seeds Sprouting Started

written by Yvonne

After only two weeks, a few seeds Tom planted have started to show signs of life.


I believe this is kale, but it's hard to tell because of the cryptic labeling 'system' Tom came up with.


In fairness, the system I came up with last year didn't work well either.  So I came up with yet another  labeling system.  We marked the front of each tray, then I crated a map of sorts, designating what seeds were in each pot.


Then I stuck the maps to the door of the outbuilding for easy reference from the greenhouse.


In each circle is the seed that was planted, and the planting date is listed at the bottom.  If we like this system, we may attach a wipe off or chalk board on the door for next year.


The following seeds were started in pots this weekend:

Tomato: Green Zebra
Tomato: Black Krim
Tomato: Cherry (black)
Tomato: Cherry (yellow)
Tomato:Persimmon
Tomato: Solar Flair
Tomato: Bonny Best
Tomato: Opalka
Broccoli
Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Pepper: Hot Pasilla Bajio


I thought I'd straighten up the very disheveled hoop houses and check on our greens.


Yes, Honey is attached to me the whole time I do this work.  She's not ready to be off leash yet, but I want her to get used to being with us as we work in the garden.  The first few times I brought her out, she walked right into the beds so she has to, ya know, STOP doing that.


Olive set a good example for Honey on how NOT to walk on the beds.


Yes, she had to follow me everywhere.  :)


Time to take a break.


Right now more grass is growing in the beds than in the yard. But that's OK.  There's not much point in weeding them since we're going the Ruth Stout mulch-with-hay method very soon.  We'll just cover up the grass with a thick layer of hay and be done with it.


The bed with our winter greens has been under cover for many weeks of cold weather. Since it's not going to be as cold, and we have rain coming our way, I thought I'd uncover them and see what's been happening. Aw yea!! Spinach is ready to harvest!


And collards too! At the very end of this bed in an empty space, I planted three kinds of peas direct (no pots): Sugar Pod II, Snap Peas, and Big Red Ripper (cow peas).


We have a few more cabbages that will be ready soon as well.


There is no doubt that growing food and keep up with a garden is a LOT of work. And, it's true, it's no fun  to work in the garden when it's very cold and/or very hot. And, it's also true that it's not always convenient to have to manage our life around Mother Nature's schedule.  But as I was planting these tomato seeds, I became very awed by the fact that these little seeds were going to grow from this...

to this...

 
to this!

It really is amazing that these little, tiny seeds are going to grow into plants that produce food.  And the joy of harvesting the end result, and cooking food we grow from seeds is worth all the work and inconvenience.  I think having that moment was enough motivation for me for the rest of the year!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Great picture of you and Honey and Olive!