July 19, 2013

Harvest After a Vacation

written by Yvonne

The story goes something like this...

We were in St. Augustine from Wed-Sun last week for our nephew Matt's wedding. Brought the dogs, visited with family, ate lots of fried food, drank, played on the beach and at the pool, your standard great beach vacation. The wedding was fantastic too.


As we approach Charlotte on our drive home, I ask Tom, "What do you want to do for dinner? There's really nothing at home to eat." As I say this, I'm thinking 'We have to drive right by our favorite sushi place so I hope he's on the same page with me and wants to pick up sushi.'

He says "It's been raining ever since we left so I be the garden is chock full of veg needing to be harvested. And since very few vegetables have passed our lips since we left home, I know my body could certainly use it."

On the one hand, I was disappointed 'cause I wanted sushi. On the other hand, I hadn't even thought that our back yard would be full of dinner fixin's. And he was right; I needed a good shot of nutrients so a big ol' vegetable salad would be just right.

After unpacking the car and getting the dogs situated, we headed to the garden to scavenge for dinner.  This is what we came up with...


There were actually more cucumbers and tomatoes than this but it started to rain so we left the remainder for another day. I threw together a nice big cucumber, tomato, and pepper salad with a few olives scattered on top. It was exactly what we needed. How great to come home to a yard full of food!  :)

No comments: